Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's not easy being green

For as long as I can remember, I have never been able to keep plants alive. The big joke in our house is that if you want a plant to live, don't give it to Jena. After all, I can kill even the ones that are impossible to kill. This year though, looks like I may have lost my "killing" streak.



These are called the "essence of rose" and I can't take credit for them. They were planted here before we even moved in. They bloom every two years and this is the first time I have seen them.


Here you see sunflowers growing -hopefully they will bloom- and a lilac bush and peonies that haven't bloomed either but are still alive! Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can show you this picture again only with sunflower blooms and rock around the edge of the garden.



More sunflowers.




Here is an iris that I did plant. I was very excited about it. Most people would be frustrated that only one out of twenty-four (that's right 24) bloomed. I, on the other hand, am very excited!



Hopefully next year I will have better pictures to share! For that matter, this year isn't over and who knows what surprises I might find in my garden.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't keep anything green either. I have been working really hard this year, but we shall see if anything happens in the gardening area.

Eleilia

rebecca said...

What a pretty iris. Yay for you. Hey, maybe next year you could go for 2 out of 24? You're doing way better than I am. I'm just now really trying my hand at plants... We'll see how it goes!

gina said...

YAY!!! I'm so excited for you. Good job. My sunflowers bit the dust, so you are ahead of me for sure.

Jessi said...

I do believe that is the prettiest iris I have ever seen! I'm in the same boat with keeping things alive...however the anniversary plant my husband bought me last year which I allowed the frost to bite has revived...there is hope!